Monday, 4 March 2013

The Value of Reading


I've written a few blogs recently; one on the European Championships last year, one on the Oscars and one which, well, never really got off the ground!

I guess my problem has been understanding why people blog in the first place. I have no shame in admitting that my earlier blogs were developed with one specific purpose in mind - me.

Whether that is acceptable or not is open for debate. But the bottom line is that after the first, second and third editor told me of the value of having a blog, I did it. If I wanted to get the odd job writing an article then they wanted to see examples of my work. Simples, as a furry little creature might say.

Perhaps a little background is needed here. Blogging isn't my day job! Shocked?

No, I teach. I have taught history for a while now and been a frustrated writer for even longer. When I graduated my choice of career was between teaching and journalism. I chose the former. I don’t regret it and some days I even still enjoy it. But those days are becoming few and far between.

For the last few years I have started to feel the itch to write. I have written lots of short stories - and published my first one at the end of last year. I have completed a handful of children's books while researching and writing my first novel. This is now at the editing stage and, while I'm not naive to think I will be taking early retirement from the classroom, I am hoping to give my life a new focus.

All the hard work and sacrifices I made have given me a sense of achievement which can never be taken away.

So why start another blog?

I guess there's more than one answer.

Firstly, admittedly, I aim to promote my achievements. That's not big-headed or arrogant. Maybe people will think I'm rubbish. But completing anything is an achievement and I owe it to myself to find out and blogs are a great way to interact with other writers and readers. I admire blogs of other independent writers - such as Vanessa Wester who gave me advice very early on while publishing her first novel in the Evolution series, Hybrid. (http://vanessawesterwriter.blogspot.co.uk/)

Everyone who dreams of publishing their work should first read the blogs of those who have already completed - or nearly commpleted - the journey.

But an equally important reason for a blog is writing. The best way to hone your skills is to write. And read. Like the advice Vanessa gave me, perhaps I can be of use to others. It is the most basic observation I have made during the past few years - writers can help writers. There are a myriad of questions and problems indie writers face every day and blogs can be invaluable.

I don't presume that my ramblings will be earth shattering. I'm not an expert or even anywhere near but I have started working through the process. I have faced the problems, researched the maze that is publication and came out the other side.

One day I might even sell a book.

ACR

 

No comments:

Post a Comment