We've all heard it before but it appears that, no matter how experienced a writer you are, there is one thing you cannot ignore; planning.
Since I made the decision to stop talking about writing a book and actually doing it, I have followed the blogs and social media accounts of many authors. They give aspiring authors like me valuable advice and tips to ease that struggle toward publication.
If you accept your limitations there is so much to learn but, for me, it is their approach to planning that impresses the most. As a teacher I have always considered myself an organised person (sometimes my desk at school would suggest otherwise) and always keep a small notebook handy to record tasks outstanding and ideas for lessons or resources.
But the multitude of layers that are involved in publishing a book or short story go well beyond this. For most people starting out the image in your head is so far from the
reality of writing. It is far more than sitting down for an hour with a
pen and page to script a masterpiece. You have to proof read, edit,
re-write, proof, edit, promote (if you are an indie) and contact editors
and publishers in search of the elusive deal. Without planning, and an
ability to stick closely to your targets, that Number One Bestseller
will always remain a pipe dream. To do this as your sole employment would be a challenge in itself so when you add a day job into the mix it certainly pays to be structured.
The best example I can use would be Imran Siddiq, whose debut novel Disconnect is the first instalment from a SciFi trilogy in the young adult market. His twitter account is full of useful advice delivered in his own inimitable style and based on his experiences in recent years. I recommend a follow. ( @Flickimp )
His view is that the hours you have available after work are the hours you must dedicate to the craft. The familiar excuse of 'I don't have time to write...' is simply not valid and anyone who wants to become a published author should make the time. He often tweets his plans that evening, and lengthy plans at that. Without them the three or four hours can quickly disappear leaving you with the same amount of to-do tasks that you started with and considerably more stress.
A scroll through older tweets reveal a spreadsheet which Imran uses to plan his week. Everything from edits to cover designing is included, providing a structure for him to meet his own deadlines. His spreadsheet has inspired me to take my own preparation to new levels and I must admit I feel much better for it. Having received a Kindle Fire from Santa at Christmas I wondered if there were any apps out there that might serve a similar purpose. There are lots, ranging from the basic free option to the incredibly expensive ones. I went somewhere in the middle and purchased Schedule Planner Pro; complete with task titles, pie charts to show how many times I neglect to write a blog entry and bar graphs to show how much I still need to edit. The OCD in me was pleased.
Is it still hard keep to every deadline? Absolutely. Do I now suddenly feel under no pressure because I keep a record of tasks pending? Of course not. But by recording what I have completed (or even partially completed) I do feel more in control.
I control my writing, rather than it controlling me.
ACR
No comments:
Post a Comment